A Brief History

In October, 1947 a few people in the southwest part of Temple felt the need of mission work and met in the home of Mr. and Mrs. Travis (Ednah) Evetts. As interest grew, a mission, sponsored by Memorial Baptist Church with Rev. George Brown as pastor, was formed.

Rev. Clay Burns served as pastor of the mission, starting with 19 members in Sunday School. By May 1948, two lots had been purchased and a one-room building had been built by the Brotherhood men of Memorial.

Temple Heights Baptist Mission church continued to grow, and Heights Baptist Church was organized on August 7, 1949, with approximately 51 members


Called to Pastor Heights Baptist Church

Rev. E. E. Wheeless, 1953-1956
Dr. Leroy Kemp, 1959-1964
Rev. W. H. Causey 1964-1977
Rev. Richard Deteau 1978-1983
Rev. Tom Satterwhite 1985-1990
Dr. Tom Henderson 1991-2006
Bro. Billy Koinm 2007- Current

As of Today....


    Heights began as a mission church 68 years ago and for many of those years it has been doing mission work. We have had Heights members reach out to 5 of the 7 continents of the entire world. More important than all that has already been stated about Heights Baptist Church is the spiritual value that only God can evaluate. We now have a membership of 1,142 people.

    Through our 67 years we have baptized new converts and had at least thirteen young men and five young ladies go into special ministry for Christ. As we look to the future and many, many more years of serving God, please pray that we as a church, and as individuals, will continue to “Stand Firm in the Faith” and continue to do God’s will as we reach out to a lost and dying world with the life and light of Jesus Christ.